Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Lake Tahoe




























Oops--I got this entry out of order. It actually took place before San Francisco. The first picture is a family joke. It is Muddy Gap, WY and it is inserted just for my parents and brothers!

Our highlights for this day were certainly our boat tour of Lake Tahoe (featuring 80's music in between the tour guide audio!) and our trail ride to an overview of Lake Tahoe. Mackenzie says this is “the best day so far.” We are confident that that has everything to do with the trail ride!

Our Notables section today features some interesting facts about Lake Tahoe:
* Lake Tahoe is often referred to as "America's All Year Playground."
* Tahoe is generally believed to have come from a Washo Indian word meaning "Big Water" or "Big Blue."
* Lake Tahoe is the largest alpine lake in North America. The water level is above 6,200' in elevation. Its maximum depth is 1,645 feet and the average depth is 989 feet.
* Tahoe's water is so clear that a white dinner plate can be seen 75 feet below the water surface.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving all these family posts...but I miss the pictures that were in the previous ones...are those to come later? Will be praying for a fruitful summer for you all.

Dan Allan said...

Sarah
Holly is still sorting them out but I wanted to put the notes in while they were still relatively fresh. They are coming!

Miss Molly said...

wow mackenzie and grant are getting tall!! great lake tahoe pictures! Looking at them gets me excited; God has lead me to south tahoe this summer as a student intern! but I will miss SD. the project will be in my prayers! thanks for the updates :)
blessings,
-molly o.